Friday 14 November 2014

illusion of chaos blog 2

So these "weekly" updates need to become probably more like fortnightly as I always seem to busy to do them. And blimey it's week 7.

So what have been doing? good question as I barely remember myself.
Linking onto my previous post, I finished the storyboard. it's not extremely detailed as we are playing around with what we can do so it leaves space for cooler camera shots which I will come back an add.




And a rough animatic to understand flow more.


Other wise it's been a hell of a lot of R&D and just making mistakes some really cool mistakes.

Hamish Bengall is now part of my team, he's mainly interested in FX and is doing some really interesting stuff. I'm enjoying working with him as he explains what he is doing and continuously asks for feedback to get the best look. I think he's taken the project on and gotten really into it.  I am trying my best to give feedback that makes sense as I try and learn the 3D language. So far a lot of the R&D has been done in maya, cinema 4D and aftereffects. I only really know aftereffects so recently I have been doing some beginner tutorials in Cinema 4D to get my skill level better then 0.
My feedback recently in weeklies has been positive but I have been told to make mood boards and add to the concept pieces I already have as well as making sure there is a strong artistic style through the film and doesn't look miss matched. So I've made many many moodboards for each sequence and uploaded them to the drive so anyone who is working on that particular sequence knows what the look should be.



I then wanted to get some design ideas down for a polygon sequence. The R&D brought up that the shapes weren't really though through so I worked around do some shapes for a bit.


Me and Hamish have been working together to get the look of the first sequence of the morphing sphere down. One issue we were having was getting a nice glow from the centre with out making it look to 'sci-fi' I wanted it to look more stylized. Instead of playing around on the computer I made a paper mache sphere in the shape with ridges and pierced some holes in it to get a nice light effect.

I also have been doing some macro experiments for live action that can be incorporated. This one was just ink.
I feel as I am the director I do spend the majority of my time with elf, james and hamish looking at their work and making comments etc. I would like to be doing more practicle work myself but that will probably come with time. I would like to be doing some more R&D then I am doing and learning more 3D processes. So far It has definitely been a learning curb directing such a technical 3D base project but hopefully I am doing an ok job.

My next Jobs are to go more in depth and make the shots more interesting with better camera movements. Then make a 3D anamatic.

Till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment